My 2 lovely sons are:

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, May 22, 2009

No more of milk expression for me

On top of the post earlier, I am happy to say that I am now free from milk expression. Yippee!! No more of engorgement pain for me, although I am still having BM leakage. I am still waiting for my BM to dry up completely. It has been 2 weeks since my last expression. I wonder why my milk supply is taking so long to dry up.

Of course, the process is painful for me. Endurance, perserverance, determination are needed. Let me share how I slowly stop my BM.

First, cut down milk expression slowly. If expression is 5 times a day, cut it down to 4 times a day. When you no longer feel engorgement pain in expressing 4 times a day, then slowly cut down to 3 times a day. Apply this till you reach 2 times a day. The worst is to cut down from 2 times to once a day as the time gap is the greatest. Before cutting down from 2 times to once per day, try to cut down the volume of milk expression first. Do not empty your breast from every expression. Apply this also when trying to stop expressing BM completely after once a day.

For my case, after I tried stopping expressing milk, I feel engorgement pain again on the 2nd day. I had no choice but to express it out. again. Then it was followed by 4-5 days expression and it is now better for me.

Yes, my method is slow. But I need to use this method as I have to take care of George all by myself. Can you imagine having 2 large rocks pressing against your chest, and you also need to carry a baby in your arms? The pain is indescribable and if engorgement is not handled well, it will cause fever. As long as the method works for me, it is a good method.

No comments: