My 2 lovely sons are:

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Myths and Superstitions are out!

Are you a believer in superstitions? I can tell you, I am not! These are all old wives or man made stories which people believe in.

Why are there superstitions from the past? In the past, people are not exposed and not knowledgeable about the facts behind things that happen. Therefore when things happen, their "imaginative" mind will start to think back what they did that caused it to happen and try to link everything together to make some sense out of it. Can I say that people of those days are really imaginative creatures? Very developed in right brain?

I will list out some examples, all on pregnancy, because...ahem... Im a victim of all these supersitious made up stories...

- You cannot stick or paste things when you are pregnant. They say your baby will have no anus if you do this.
- You cannot cut when you are pregnant or your baby will have cleft lip.
- You cannot paint the house or watch people renovating the house or your baby will have birth makes on their bodies or face.
- You cannot eat crabs or your baby will have "lots of hands" which means "itchy hands".
- The list goes on and on..... I can also make up my own version and I will tell you for sure, people will believe me.

When things do not happen on you, you won't think back what you have done. Only when unfortunate things happen, you will start thinking back, asking yourself/blaming that person if they did that. Which is why you feel that all the superstitions being passed down are so accurate. But if you try thinking even when everything went smoothly for you, you also did a thousand of things which are deemed wrong.

For goodness sake, we are living in times where there are so much scientific knowledge and exposure in news, TV/Radio programmes, internet, books, etc, why can't the people move forward? Rather, they chose to remain behind in times to believe all the made up stories.

No comments: